Small Steps is a program that aims to raise awareness and improve the recognition of anxiety disorders in children.
We do this by offering FREE 'anxiety awareness' seminars for primary school staff (teachers, principals, administrative staff) and parents.
A Small Steps seminar will usually run for about an hour and can be held at your local school.
Topics covered during the seminar:
- signs and symptoms of anxiety
- telling normal fears from problem anxiety
- the different types of anxiety disorders and how they present
- how to speak to an anxious child
- evidence based treatments for anxiety disorders
- and overview of referral and treatment options with information packs available which include strategies on how to assist children with anxiety
Seminars for parents can be conducted before school, immediately after school, or in the evening.
Seminars for teachers are usually held during staff meetings or on professional development days.
There is no cost incurred by the school - Small Steps seminars are a community service – run by the Mental Health Association NSW and funded by NSW Health.
Book a free Small Steps Seminar